Friday, December 22, 2017

Winter break!

We did it! We made it to Winter Break! My entire family has been counting down to this break, but I honestly don't know who is more excited - me or my girls. I'm looking forward to lazy nights (without homework), getting some order in my disordered house, and good, old-fashioned quality time with my family over the next two weeks. May the break be for you exactly what you desire and need. Happy Holidays!
David Sutherland - Social Studies Department - I have a school problem! I would be a professional student if possible. A.B. Communications - U of M - Ann Arbor, MA Educational Technology - Wayne State, MS Educational Leadership - Concordia University, and JD University of Detroit Mercy - My philosophy of education is .... and this is no joke... I have the document from 1994 when I got hired.. "Learning Should Be Fun!" I try to make sure the students are excited to enter my room every day because they know they'll learn something new which will usually be accompanied by a unique story to reinforce the concept. We have lots of laughs along the way.

My personal goal is to continue to embrace my passion for fitness without anymore trips to Kendra my physical therapist. Professionally, I am always trying to take my content (law, civics, media literacy, and sociology) to new levels. I am constantly pushing my students to understand complex content and acquire new advanced skills without them realizing they are going way beyond what they typically think they are capable of.

Elderly parents keep life interesting! In my spare time I like to exercise, golf, attend U of M sporting events, and I believe I have an Amazon book "issue" that I may need to address. I am well stocked for retirement. I am passionate about making the law easy for lay people to understand. I am also very passionate about professional ethics and conduct.

My classroom from the perspective of an administrator who evaluated me during my career. "People have no idea what you do." Oops! 7 -

A book I have read recently is Unwarranted: Policing Without Permission by Barry
Friedman.
Did you know that there are so many apps available to help us monitor social media? The speaker who came in early December was very well received. If you missed her presentation, then here is a LINK to it. The file is very large so you will want to open it on a computer and not your phone. I have been using the app OurPact for several years and love it. It allows me to schedule bedtimes, HW time, etc. for each of my kids. I used the free version for at least a year and then upgraded so that I could select which apps to allow to remain on the phone/ipdad (i.e., I allow the apps that are related to school - google drive, google docs, etc.) 

Did you know that while there is a decrease nationally in the percentage of students who smoke tobacco there is an increase in students who use e-cigarettes and vape? Possession and/or use of an electronic cigarette or vaporizer is prohibited on school grounds, school property, school buses, and vehicles on school grounds, even if students are 18 and can legally purchase an electronic cigarette. Please partner with us in educating your children about the risks of electronic cigarettes. Here's a tip sheet for parents for talking with kids about e-cigarettes  and another Article on the subject. 

Did you know that we had a great Challenge Day Assembly with 9th graders?This was part of our continued intentional effort to teach empathy to our students. A school community that cares for one another and respects each other's differences makes for a great learning environment. You can see some of the pictures below.